Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Essential Lewis and Clark - Landon Jones (Ed.)

This was a quick, interesting read, especially if you're into history. If you're looking for a good, fairly comprehensive book on Lewis and Clark, I'd recommend Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage" over this, though.

This book had the advantage of being on the short side, but that is because it consists entirely of selected quotes from Lewis and Clark's journals. Unfortunately, this leaves a lot to asked for at times and makes the book nothing especially unique. Ambrose, on the other hand, does a good job at reconstructing the entire story, adding descriptions of areas they went, other historical accounts, and making the story into a stronger narrative.

Genre: History/Biography

1 comment:

Lisa said...

OK Josh, next time you're here, have I got a book for you. I have this strange fascination of Lewis and Clark, with an unknown origination. Really. I'm not kiddin ya. Maybe it's Lewis' cool first name that pulled me in. Merriweather? Come on, how cool is that? So I have this great book that includes all kinds of pullout maps and drawings and journal entries they wrote. It even contains actual supply lists. 3705 Kegs of Pork. Just doesn't get better than that, I'm tellin ya.