Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde


This was a quick read, so I'll make it a quick post too. Mostly, though, that's because the book is a good piece of literature by most standards (including wide popularity), but I don't much enjoy reading Oscar Wilde, so perhaps it's better that I don't say too much anyway. Wilde somehow bypassed the long-winded style of his time (often evident in the serial novels of Dickens), and wrote a fairly short and interesting novel. But he somehow still manages to fill the pages with long monologues on the aesthetic virtues of art for art's sake. The book presents, as its moral fulcrum, an important discussion of morality and the effects of moral corruption. I will say it's one of those books that you ought to get around to reading someday, and in comparison to some of the more stuffy classics, it is quite interesting or at the least, relatively painless. I do recommend it, just not as enthusiastically as some...